Retreads trip to Isle Of Wight

Well, trying to write up our five days Isle of Wight experience based at Bembridge will be difficult. We all had an action packed time, sometimes all together, sometime partly so. We started off on the Monday morning ferry in pouring rain and high winds, the ferries were delayed but we were all put on the 10.30 a.m. one. The journey over to Fishbourne to put it mildly was a little bit rock and roll. The rain stopped in the afternoon, we all did our own thing and met in the bar at 6.00p.m. After dinner we split into various activities e.g. dancing, snooker etc.

Monday night thunder and lightning kept us awake and heavy rain but by the time we went down to Breakfast at 8.00 a.m. it was dry.

On Tuesday we all met in reception at 9.45 a.m. and walked a short distance to catch the Number 8 bus. Some went into the shop to buy sandwiches for lunch although after a hearty breakfast a lot didn’t bother. The Number 8 took us to Sandown where we changed to the Number 3 to Ventnor. We started walking along the sea front in sunshine but as we ascended it started to rain heavily, even hailed. We stopped at Luccombe Bay in a field that the extremely pleasant gentleman owner let us picnic in. We descended down to Shanklin Chine and walked along the seafront where we just managed to catch the 3.23 p.m. back to Bembridge. Sixteen of us walked this day 6.42 miles.

On Wednesday the weather forecast was very gloomy. Ten set off to catch the Number 8 bus to Arreton. On arrival at 11.00 a.m. we walked towards Knighton then ascended to Kern Farm and Brading. At the top we had magnificent views of Portsmouth and the Spinnaker Tower. In Brading we met up with three more of our group. After a quick drink we set off again to walk back to Bembridge via the windmill. Today we walked 10.41 miles.

The evening saw some of us watching the cabaret ‘Songs from the Shows’ it was excellent a very high standard.

On Thursday again very strong blustery winds sixteen of us walked from the hotel. The winds as we walked past Bembridge Lifeboat Station and harbour were so strong it was a job to stand. We walked around St Helens Mill and along the dam wall and then across the DUVER . (Duver to rhyme with cover is an IOW dialect term to mean an area of sand dunes. Thanks to Kate for this info) Once we reached the roadway we lost one member to the bus stop.We walked on to Seagrove Bay where some foolhardy people had fun on the slipway with the incoming tide. From here it was on to Sea View where we lost another four walkers. Then we continued to Ryde another two miles. Once in Ryde we split up for drinks, snacks, or shops. Seven of us caught the 2.35 p.m. back to Bembridge. We had walked 7.73 miles this day.

Down to the bar at 6.00p.m. where we presented Jacquie and Margaret each with a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates from us all to say thank you for booking the hotel and ferry crossing. Tony and I were very pleased with a bottle of wine each presented to us to say thank you to Tony for planning the walks.

Again after dinner several went into the ballroom and watched the ‘Piano Time ‘ cabaret, again very good.

Friday morning after Breakfast saw people packing their cars and again doing separate visits. Some to The Fort and Culver Memorial, some to Godshill, some to Quarr Abbey.

Although we joined the ferry queue at 1.00 p.m. the ferry didn’t load us until 2.45 p.m.

We were so lucky with our five days of weather although the forecast was so dire we mostly walked in sunshine and warmth.

Thanks to Kate for composite pictures.

Monica and Tony