U3A QUESTER 6 VISIT TO BREAMORE HALL JUNE 2018
On an extremely hot afternoon in June Quester 6 visited Breamore House, situated above the village of Breamore overlooking the Avon Valley near Fordingbridge. This magnificent Elizabethan Manor House is still owned and is the home of Sir Edward Hulse and his family. The house completed in 1583 originally owned by the Dodington family and was purchased in the early 18th century by Sir Edward Hulse, Baronet , M,D,Physician in Ordinary.
As we approached the house along the long drive we had time to appreciate the fine examples of herringbone brickwork, leaded pane windows and tall Tudor chimneys. The house is built in the shape of an E to honour the Queen Elizabeth.
Once inside we were greeted by our guide and shown in to the Dining Room, the focal point an oak refectory table once owned by a monastery with carvings on the legs of monks praying.
We moved on to The Great Hall or according to our guide”The Wow Room” due to its size and splendour. On the walls two large Flemish tapestries designed by David Teniers and many works of art including the children of Charles the 1st and Charles the 2nd as a boy in armour by Van Dyck. Our knowledgeable guide had many stories and anecdotes to tell and told us the story behind the portrait hanging above the door. In 1600 the then owner of Braemore House having become depressed over a legal dispute with neighbours and facing bankruptcy from gambling debts committed suicide. His grieving widow Christine having paid off the debts hung the portrait of her self and cursed anyone who ever moved it. Know one has dared to move it not even the US military who occupied the house in 1942.
In the Blue Drawing room we learn more of the Hulse Baronets. On the walls are portraits of Edward Hulse MD 1st Baronet and his son the 2nd baronet both graduated at Leydon the 1st baronet in 1667 and became “Physician in Ordinary” to Queen Anne George the 1st and George the 2nd as did his son Edward Hulse named by the below stairs servants Edward the Elder his son the 3rd Baronet was named Edward the Handsome.
As we move through the house we note there are many fine examples of period furniture, a Chippendale mirror designed to reflect the light while ladies worked their needlework and a large collection of Delft Ware, a unique set of 14 Mexican Ethnological paintings on the landing upstairs.
We draw comparisons between the three bedrooms we see one furnished in the Georgian style and the Tudor bedrooms with original timber and wattle panels and the heavy dark oak carved four poster bed and furniture.
Our tour ended in the Victorian kitchen, on show the largest collection of copper pans we had ever seen and a motto on the wall, “Waste not, want not.”
We all thoroughly enjoyed our visit to this lovely old house that has survived through wars, a fire in 1856 and many generations of family and can recommend a visit.